A $450 million plan to redevelop the Alamo has drawn criticism from many Texas residents at a recent public hearing.
Several residents voiced opposition to relocating a 60-foot (18-meter) monument, demolishing buildings or closing streets at a public meeting Monday, the San Antonio Express-News reported.
"We're already in the first minute on our conversation, and I'm already hearing booing," said City Councilman Greg Brockhouse at the meeting held at Darner Parks and Recreation Operations Headquarters.
The city of San Antonio, the nonprofit Alamo Endowment and the General Land Office released details of the Alamo redevelopment plan earlier this month. It calls for tripling the size of the historic plaza in downtown San Antonio, razing several buildings, constructing a museum and moving the 1930s Cenotaph. The public-private project also proposes making structural repairs to the mission-era church and lowering the ground in some places to the level at the time of the 1836 battle with Mexican forces.
Officials have said they want to create a sense of "reverence and respect" at the site.
"People say they don't understand the story," said Alamo CEO Doug McDonald of the need for a museum. "We need a bigger space to tell the story."
Officials received feedback Monday that the plan should include a better interpretation of Native Americans of the site's 1700s mission era.
The latest news from around North Texas.
"I am, for the most part, opposed to this entire plan," said resident John Hinnant. "It's over-engineered, and it's not necessary."
More public hearings are scheduled for this week. The City Council could give preliminary approval in the fall.