Police: Slain Teen Girl Planned Botched Robbery

17-year-old acted as hostage, was mistakenly shot by accomplice, police say

A 17-year-old Fort Worth girl was accidentally killed last week by one of two men she recruited to rob a house where drugs were sold, police said in arrest warrants released Monday.

Claudia Hidic, a senior at Euless Trinity High School, pretended to be a hostage as the men entered the house in the 3000 block of Overton Park Drive West, across from Tanglewood Elementary School, on June 28, police said.

But she had asked the men to commit the botched robbery to obtain drugs and cash, according to the court documents. She ended up shot in the head in an exchange of gunfire.

Terrance Crumley and Curtis Fortenberry, both 21, are charged with murder. Fortenberry also was shot and was questioned when he showed up to the hospital at about the same time but could not explain his injuries, police said.

In an interview with detectives, Fortenberry said he believed he shot her by accident when a man in the house pulled out a pistol and gunfire broke out.

Detectives say they tracked down the man, four women and a 10-year-old girl who were the intended victims of the robbery and fled after the shooting. One of the women admitted she was in the house to buy or use methamphetamine.

The homeowner was not there at the time and came home to find Hidic's body at the back door, police said. He got an attorney and stopped talking to investigators a day or two later, but police say he is not a suspect.

At first, police said the homeowner did not know Hidic. But according to the arrest warrants, he claimed Hidic sold him a pistol several days earlier and was trying to get money to bond her boyfriend out of jail.

Detectives also interviewed another man who said Hidic had also asked him to participate in the robbery but he declined.

Her boyfriend, Alen Druzanovic, said he doesn't believe Hidic would have tried to rob anyone.

"That's a whole bunch of BS," he said. "She was the one who had her money stolen from her purse and whatnot."

Druzanovic speculated Hidic may have threatened to call the police, which angered the people in the house.

The boyfriend said he believes police zeroed in on the wrong suspects.

"It's really frustrating that the real killers are still out, walking around," he said.

Contact Us