Arlington Police Officer Shot During Traffic Stop Expected to Recover

The man who fired at police, identified Saturday as Treshun Symone Miller, was shot and later died from his injuries early Saturday morning

An Arlington police officer is expected to recover after being shot late Friday night during a traffic stop. Officials said the gunman, who was also shot, has died.

Police identified the deceased gunman Saturday as 20-year-old Treshun Symone Miller, while naming the driver as 21-year-old Jessica Lee Lawson.

The shooting happened in the parking lot of a shopping center near the intersection of Randol Mill and North Fielder roads just after 10 p.m.

Arlington police said an officer pulled Lawson over for failing to use a turn signal. The officer claimed to smell marijuana in the vehicle. With three others, all males, in the vehicle, police said the officer also called for backup.

Once two additional officers pulled into the parking lot, they asked the driver and a young man -- Miller -- sitting in the front passenger seat to step out of the car.

Police said Lawson complied, but Miller started to run.

Two of the officers began to chase him across the parking lot. Police said that's when Miller pulled out a handgun and started to shoot, hitting one of the officers.

"Our officer immediately fell to the ground, screaming out in pain," said Lt. Chris Cook, a spokesman for the Arlington Police Department.

The other officer returned fire and struck Miller.

Both Miller and the injured officer were rushed to area hospitals.

An Arlington Police officer is recovering in the hospital after he was shot late Friday night during a traffic stop. Officials said the gunman, who was also shot, has died.

A little before 2:30 a.m., police said Miller died of his injuries at a Fort Worth hospital. The officer, however, is expected to recover. He was listed in stable but serious condition late Saturday. Cook said doctors are still trying to determine a course of action. 

Cook said the bullet may have ricocheted off the officer's duty belt before entering his pelvis region. 

"He's doing as best as can be expected, receiving great care there from the hospital," Cook said. "The last update we just received from our police chief, who's there with the family, is that doctors are very optimistic that he will be able to make a full recovery."

Police have not released the name of the officer involved in the incident, but Cook now says the injured officer was a 17-year veteran of the department, the married officer is assigned to the West Patrol District.

"Your heart just gives way because you never know -- you just think of the worst. When you hear, 'Officer down' on the radio, everyone is wondering who is it? Are they OK? Where are they hit?" Cook said. "All of these emotions are running through our minds."

In a late night tweet, Arlington Police Chief Will Johnson indicated he was able to visit with the officer and his family at the hospital -- and asked the community to "keep our team and family in your thoughts and prayers."

Cook said investigators have already reviewed body camera footage of the incident. He added that the other people in the car have been cooperative with the investigation and have not been arrested.

Police said a search of the vehicle revealed 2.05 ounces of marijuana and two digital scales in the car.

Miller and Lawson were both arrested in connection with an armed robbery at Stonebriar Mall in Frisco in 2017. Neither was indicted.

Cook said Miller was also arrested twice in Arlington recently for possession of marijuana.

NBC 5's Lexie Houghtaling and Meredith Yeomans contributed to this report.

Contact Us