Halloween

Plano Woman Warns of Dry Ice Dangers This Halloween

A Plano woman is warning others who may be using dry ice for Halloween displays.

"I don't want anyone to go through what I went through," said Janelle Twyford-Silvis.

The part-time caterer was hauling ice cream packed in dry ice when she passed out while driving south on Coit Road, and came to a stop right in the middle of the busy intersection with Mapleshade Lane.

"I know better. The first thing you do is roll all your windows down because you get the headaches, you get the flu-type symptoms and everything, and the police said the windows were all up," said Twyford-Silvis.

The 63-year-old spent three days at The Medical Center of Plano and still tires easily weeks later.

"It's very, very serious, especially around children who don't know not to pick it up. And it's very toxic," said Twyford-Silvis.

She warns anyone considering using dry ice for Halloween displays should not take the substance lightly, especially in enclosed spaces.

"We take it very lightly, because we are making our cauldrons, we're doing haunted houses. And everybody thinks the fog is fun and neat, but kids don't know."

Dry ice can be dangerous, especially around kids, and store cases even display strict warning labels.

"Touching it can cause a burn. More importantly, you've got to watch your kids. Especially young kids can try and ingest it, and that can cause an esophageal burn," said Dr. Mark Gamber, with The Medical Center of Plano.

Experts say you should always use gloves when handling dry ice, and make sure it is kept in a well-ventilated area.

Contact Us