2 People Injured; Several Dogs Rescued From Irving House Fire

A family is without a home just days before Thanksgiving after a fire gutted their Irving house Tuesday.[[353356561,C]]

Firefighters said flames broke out just before 7 p.m. on the 2200 block of Woodoak Drive.

Firefighters rescued one person from the back of the home, according to Irving Assistant Fire Chief Russell Wilson.

Two people were transported to an area hospital with minor injuries.

Officials said there were more than 20 animals reported to be in the home, mostly dogs.

Several animals did not survive the fire. A majority of the animals were rescued, and paramedics treated several of the dogs with oxygen at the scene.

A family member who lives in the home tells NBC 5 the family members are animal lovers and they take in stray dogs and later try to find them good homes. It’s why she said there were so many animals inside the house. The family never wanted to give the dogs to a shelter where they would risk being put down. The family says the animals are well cared for and are taken to a veterinarian to make sure they are healthy.

The city of Irving confirmed Wednesday officials were aware the home had more than four animals inside.

On September 24, Irving Animal Services responded to a call about a foul odor at the house, they did not go inside, but gave the family until October 9 to clean it up.

When they returned in October, the smell was gone, but animal services could tell there were multiple animals inside the home.

The city gave the family two months to get into compliance, which means they could have no more than four animals allowed under city ordinance in the home.

Now, the family is working with animal services and rescue organizations to help find the dogs good homes. Only eight or nine dogs remained Wednesday evening, according to the family. They are being kept at a family member’s house.

A family is without a home just days before Thanksgiving after a fire gutted their house.

Firefighters say the cause of the fire is undetermined, but they do say it was an accident, there was no malice involved.

NBC 5's Jocelyn Lockwood contributed to this report.

Contact Us