Eight of the nine Dallas mayoral candidates, plus one write-in candidate, took part in a forum at a Far East Dallas elementary school Tuesday night. They answered questions from Buckner Terrace residents and NBC 5 reporter Ken Kalthoff.
The large field of candidates is hoping to fill the seat left vacant by term-limited Dallas Mayor Mike Rawlings. Eight of the nine candidates who qualified for a place on the ballot attended the forum at Edna Rowe Elementary School. Miguel Patino, a write-in candidate also participated.
The forum was sponsored by the Buckner Terrace Homeowners Association and The Ferguson Road Initiative.
The latest news from around North Texas.
Images from Dallas Mayoral Candidate Forum
The candidates made opening and closing statements and took part in a Q&A session. They each had an equal, but limited amount of time to answer each question.
The following candidates took part in the forum. They are listed in order of their position on the ballot, which was determined Monday by a drawing.
- Lynn McBee, 50, a philanthropist who chairs The Bridge homeless center.
- Jason Villalba, 47, former member of the Texas House of Representatives.
- Scott Griggs, 44, lawyer, Dallas City Councilman, District 1
- Mike Ablon, 54, a Dallas real estate developer has said he will not be able to attend tonight’s forum.
- Miguel Solis, 32, Dallas ISD Trustee, District 6, the youngest ever elected to the school board.
- Alyson Kennedy, 68, activist, socialist workers party member, 2016 presidential candidate in seven states.
- Regina Montoya, 64, lawyer, community leader who chaired the Mayor's Task Force on Poverty.
- Eric Johnson, 43, lawyer, member of the Texas House of Representatives.
- Albert Black, 59, recently served as chairman of the Dallas Housing Authority and was the first black chairman of the Dallas Regional Chamber.
- Miguel Patino, a write-in candidate, has accepted an invitation to attend.
The forum was organized by Daniel Wood with the Buckner Terrace HOA. Watch a video with candidates' answers to each question below.