Mesquite Officer Involved in Lyndo Jones Shooting Effectively Terminated, Chief Says

The Mesquite police officer under investigation for shooting and injuring a man mistaken for a burglary suspect has been placed on "indefinite suspension," the police department says.

In a statement late Wednesday, Mesquite Police Chief Charles Cato said he made the decision after an internal review, and that the move effectively means the officer, identified as Derick Wiley, has been terminated.

Cato said the internal investigation revealed Wiley violated department policy when he fired at 31-year-old Lyndo Jones on Nov. 8. Cato did not indicate which department policy Wiley violated.

Police had responded after someone reported a man breaking into a vehicle, setting off its alarm. The officers did not know Jones was trying to get into his own locked truck.

Police say Jones was shot twice after he tried to run away as the officer attempted to detain him.

Jones denies he tried to elude police.

The shooting case went before a Dallas County grand jury on Tuesday, and Cato said the police department would not have any additional comment until the grand jury completes its process.

Jones' attorney released the following statement early Thursday morning:

"On behalf of Lyndo Jones and his family we regard the indefinite suspension of Mesquite Police Department Officer Derick Wiley with guarded optimism. The fact is, after nearly killing a man by shooting multiple rounds into his back, Wiley’s employment status should be the least of his concerns. The failure of Dallas County District Attorney Faith Johnson to file the appropriate criminal charges in this matter is absolutely confounding. Deferring this matter to the Grand Jury without first fulfilling the responsibility of her office to properly charge Wiley represents a clear dereliction of duty that cannot be overstated. We remain hopeful that the Grand Jury will recommend the appropriate indictment in this matter. The District Attorney has taken every measure to ensure the victim, Mr. Jones, has an opportunity to appear before the Grand Jury and provide testimony concerning this incident even as he continues to recover in the hospital. The Jones family is thankful for the outpouring of community support and prayer as we continue to seek justice in this matter."

Contact Us