Marine Dies as Good Samaritan in Arlington Shooting: Police

Suspected shooter later surrendered to DPS Troopers in Hillsboro, police say

A Marine was shot and killed by an Army soldier while trying to intervene in a domestic shooting Monday in North Texas, according to Arlington police.

The shooting happened around 11:50 a.m. outside a Walgreens store on Green Oaks Boulevard at New York Avenue in Arlington.

Police identified the suspect as 22-year-old Ricci Chambless Bradden, a U.S. Army soldier at Fort Hood, according to an arrest warrant affidavit.

The violence unfolded when Bradden went to see his wife, a Walgreens employee. According to the affidavit, the two got into an argument and Bradden shot his wife in the ankle.

A man is dead and a woman is injured after a shooting at an Arlington drug store, police say. Arlington police said the man responsible for the shooting, 22-year-old Ricci Bradden, has been arrested.

Anthony Antell Jr., 35, saw the confrontation in the parking lot as his wife sat in their car. Police said Antell, a Marine, got out his gun and tried to stop Bradden from leaving, acting as a good Samaritan.

"At that point, the suspect exits the vehicle, shoots the good Samaritan. The good Samaritan is pronounced deceased at the scene," said Arlington police Lt. Christopher Cook.

Police said Antell's wife watched him die. Friends said the couple have three children and that Antell owned a CrossFit gym in Arlington, where people gathered to grieve Monday evening.

"T.J. Antell lost his journey of life very suddenly today in a very heroic act of courage for the well-being of other people," said the family's pastor, Rev. Marc Lowrance of United Methodist Church in Arlington. "He went out of this world on top."

One person is dead after a shooting outside an Arlington drug store, police say.

Neighbor Courtney Hill said she heard the gunfire in the Walgreens parking lot.

"I frequent all these locations here and it is pretty shocking, I'll tell you that," Hill said.

Police are still investigating the circumstances of the shooting. Cook advised the public against trying to stop armed suspects.

"Any time that you can be the best witness you can be, we always recommend that," Cook said. "Sometimes things turn out like this when you're trying to stop a bad guy."

Bradden surrendered at a Texas Department of Public Safety office in Hillsboro while on his way back to Fort Hood. According to the affidavit, Bradden's commanding officers urged him to surrender to civilian authorities Monday.

Bradden was brought back to Arlington Tuesday afternoon and is currently in Arlington City Jail with a bond set at $500,000. 

Chopper 5 was over the scene shortly after a deadly shooting at Walgreens on New York Ave. in south Arlington.

Bradden's wife was recovering Monday evening at Medical Center Arlington. A friend said the couple had only been married a short time.

NBC 5's Holley Ford contributed to this report.

Contact Us