A Dallas County grand jury is expected to indict former Texas A&M and NFL quarterback Johnny Manziel on a misdemeanor assault charge Tuesday, according to his defense attorney.
The domestic violence case stems from a Jan. 29 incident in Dallas, when Manziel’s ex-girlfriend, Colleen Crowley, told police the quarterback hit her and took her from a Dallas hotel to her Fort Worth apartment. She suffered a ruptured eardrum in the assault, according to her attorney.
Since the alleged incident, Manziel has been cut by the Cleveland Browns, dropped by two agents and lost his endorsements.
The latest news from around North Texas.
Prosecutors presented evidence in the domestic violence case to the grand jury last week. An official with the district attorney said an announcement would be made Thursday if the panel chose not to indict Manziel. Since that didn’t happen, criminal charges against Manziel are expected to be made public this week.
Manziel's attorney, Robert Hilton, told The Associated Press he expects an assault charge for family violence to be filed Tuesday. The charge is a Class A misdemeanor that carries a penalty of up to one year in jail and a fine of $4,000.
Hinton told The Dallas Morning News on Monday that Manziel, who is in Los Angeles, will plead not guilty. He said Manziel's legal team is asking for no special treatment and that once a bond is issued, Manziel will be presented and the bond will be paid.
Hinton said in a statement obtained by NBC News:
"We're going to treat this like any other case. If this were anyone else, in my judgment, we would not have to deal with this. I think the intake division of the Dallas County District Attorney's Office would have declined to accept the case."
NBC Sports’ Pro Football Talk reported Manziel released a statement last week about his future:
"I’m hoping to take care of the issues in front of me right now so I can focus on what I have to do if I want to play in 2016. I also continue to be thankful to those who really know me and support me."