A man who slipped out of a hospital after injuring his hand in a shootout with police is back in custody Tuesday, police say.
Bedford police said Tuesday afternoon members of the North East Tarrant County Area SWAT Team surrounded the home of 53-year-old Manuel Gonzalo Castillo and took him into custody without incident.
Castillo, police said, fired shots at a neighbor's house on the 3800 block of Burr Oak Court at about 11 p.m. Friday night.
Police said Castillo when they arrived outside the home of Asif Sayani, Castillo's neighbor, Castillo pointed his gun at them. Castillo and officers began shooting at each other, taking out a window on Sayani's car and blowing a tire.
The latest news from around North Texas.
No officers were injured in the exchange, however Castillo was shot in the hand and was initially under police guard at the hospital where he was to undergo surgery.
At some point, Castillo was discharged and left the hospital when he was supposed to remain in police custody.
"That's very scary news,” said Sayani. “I don't know how it happened or why it happened. It shouldn't have happened, that's what I know. Especially after having such a dangerous person in custody."
Police said Tuesday that SWAT was used in the capture of Castillo since he previously shot at police officers. Prior to being captured again, Castillo was under surveillance by members of NETCAST, Combined Narcotics Enforcement Team (CNET) and Bedford Criminal Investigations Division.
On Tuesday, Castillo was booked on multiple charges of aggravated assault against public servant, aggravated assault with deadly weapon and assault causes bodily injury. Castillo was interviewed and will be transferred to the Tarrant County Detention Center.
NBC 5 asked Bedford police how Castillo was able to walk away from the hospital, but they would not answer that question. The Texas Rangers are handling the investigation.
NBC 5's Alice Barr contributed to this report.