Fort Worth

Fort Worth Officer Critical; McIver Charged, Held on $2 Million Bail

GoFundMe account set up for officer's recovery, family

A North Texas man has been charged in a shootout with police that left his fugitive father dead and a Fort Worth police officer recovering from multiple gunshot wounds.

Fort Worth Police Officer Matthew Pearce remains in critical condition Wednesday, according to John Peter Smith Hospital CEO Robert Earley, who added that doctors have not yet determined if Pearce will need more surgery to help him recover from his gunshot wounds.

"The officer is still in critical condition," Earley said. "We need to keep his wife strong. We need to make sure that she has a place to rest and relax and eat and make sure that she keeps up her spirit because that will help him. His family is part of our concern and he is our concern."

A GoFundMe account has been set up on behalf of Pearce and his family, according to Fort Worth Mayor Betsy Price. As of this writing, more than 180 people had donated more than $11,000 to the Pearce family for his recovery.

Photos: Manhunt After Fort Worth Police Officer Shot

According to the statement on the GoFundMe page, Pearce, a father of two girls, was shot seven times -- "once in the cheek, twice in the arm, twice in the chest and twice in the leg, with one hitting his diaphragm and liver. His femur was fractured, and his heart bruised."

Initial reports received Tuesday said Pearce had been shot four times, three times in the chest and once in the leg. Citing family privacy, Fort Worth Chief of Police Joel Fitzgerald would not confirm Wednesday the number of times Pearce was hit.

Fort Worth Chief of Police Joel Fitzgerald, Fort Worth Mayor Betsy Price, John Peter Smith Hospital CEO Robert Earley and Sgt. Rick Van Houten, president of the FWPOA, give an update Wednesday on police officer Matthew Pearce, who was shot several times during a gun battle with a wanted fugitive Tuesday, March 15, 2016.

Price said Pearce's family has been incredibly moved by all of the support they've received since the shooting.

Suspect Charged, Held on $2 Million Bond

Ed McIver Jr., 20, has been charged with attempted capital murder, evading arrest and unlawful carrying of a weapon in connection with Pearce's shooting. McIver's father, 43-year-old Ed McIver Sr., was killed in the gun battle with police -- McIver Jr. was armed with a rifle when he was captured hours later by ATF agents with K-9 officers, police said.

Ed McIver Jr. is being held on $2 million bond at the Mansfield City Jail on charges including attempted capital murder and possession of a controlled substance the day after the shooting of a Fort Worth police officer.

The shootout Tuesday happened after a fugitive task force tried to arrest McIver Sr. on two aggravated assault charges and for jumping bail. McIver Sr. refused to surrender and led police on a short chase that ended with he and his son on foot and engaged in a gun battle with police.

Police have not yet determined who shot Pearce, the elder McIver or his son.

Online jail records show McIver Jr. is being held on more than $2 million bond; an attorney isn't listed in the jail records.

NBC 5 submitted a request to interview McIver Jr., but that request was denied.

Copyright AP - Associated Press
Contact Us