Man Apologizes for Role in DART Mob Assault, Says He Was Defending His Younger Brother

More arrests expected as investigation into mob assault continues

Two brothers are in custody and more arrests are expected in connection with a mob of people who attacked a passenger on a DART train Sunday.

Officials confirmed to NBC 5 Friday that 21-year-old Jakobi Hendrix was booked into the Dallas County jail Thursday evening on a charge of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. His brother, 23-year-old Remon Hendrix, was arrested in the 2400 block of Lemmon Avenue shortly before 1 a.m. on a warrant for the DART incident as well as other outstanding warrants.

On Friday afternoon, Jakobi Hendrix agreed to speak with NBC 5 from the Dallas County Jail.

Hendrix said he and his brother Remon boarded their train at the MLK Station and were headed to work when the train stopped at the Deep Ellum Station. While at the stop, Hendrix said he and his brother saw a fight spill out from another train onto the platform.

Dallas Area Rapid Transit is investigating an attack after a man was confronted and beaten by a mob on a Green Line train Sunday night.

Hendrix said he and his brother then noticed their younger brother was involved in the fight with a much older person and ran to his defense.

"I look at the other train and I see my youngest brother fighting someone. In my head, I'm thinking my youngest brother is in trouble. So I jump off the train and go help my younger brother," Hendrix said.

Hendrix said he got mad days later when he learned how the fight actually started.

"I didn't learn what actually happened until, like, two days after when it showed on the news," Hendrix said. "I was mad, because, if I knew that my brother was getting into it because of that situation I would have pulled my brother off of this man and apologized. I wouldn't have let that happen at all."

Video of the fight previously published on Titus Stevenson's Facebook page and embedded here has been removed from Facebook. DART investigators are using the video in their investigation to identify those who attacked a 44-year-old man identified as Kennan.

From the county jail, Hendrix then issued an apology to the man that was attacked, saying "I truly and dearly apologize that I didn't evaluate the situation enough to stop what happened in the video. If I knew my brother was in the wrong I would have snatched up my brother with no problem."

In the interview, Hendrix said he's not had a fight since middle school and that he's only ever fought to defend his brothers. He said he has plans to join the military and was to ship out in less than a month. He said he's never been in jail and regrets how the community may now see him as a person.

"This is my first time being in jail. I don't like wearing these clothes or being monitored 24/7," Hendrix said.

He added that he wishes his brother had handled the situation differently from the start, avoiding the entire altercation.

"He could have just put the blunt out that he had, or whatever, and just went on with his business," Hendrix said.

Hendrix told NBC 5 that he'd asked a friend to contact the police on his behalf, before he was arrested, but DART could not confirm whether Hendrix had surrendered or if that led to his capture.

Hendrix added he didn't recognize any of the people seen with his brother in the video, but he encouraged them all to come forward and accept responsibility.

Hendrix remains in custody at the Dallas County Jail on $20,000 bond. Additional details about the arrests or the investigation into the other people involved has not been released.

Contact Us