Federal Building Shooter's Family Releases Statement as Investigation Continues; Courthouse Reopens Wednesday

The FBI says the building will reopen Wednesday.

What to Know

  • Just before 8:40 a.m., man exchanges gunfire with federal officers outside U.S. courthouse in downtown Dallas.
  • Suspected shooter, identified as 22-year-old Brian Isaack Clyde, has died. No other injuries reported.
  • Investigators have not revealed a motive for Monday's attack.

The FBI continues to investigate what motivated a 22-year-old man to open fire on the Earle Cabell Federal Building in downtown Dallas Monday morning.

NBC 5 News
A man identified as 22-year-old Brian Isaack Clyde opened fire outside the Earle Cabell Federal Building Monday morning in downtown Dallas, June 17, 2019.

Brian Isaack Clyde was fatally shot during an exchange of gunfire with Federal Protective Service officers stationed inside the federal courthouse.

Federal agents have been able to trace when and where he purchased his weapon but would not give any details. Because he had no criminal record, it appears he could have purchased such a gun legally.

The building's lobby, and an adjacent parking lot, remained a crime scene Tuesday afternoon. The building reopened Wednesday.

On Tuesday night, Clyde's family issued a statement:

"Brian Clyde's family is stunned and devastated by yesterday's tragic event. The Brian we knew was kind, a gentle soul, and funny. We don't understand any more than anyone else why he chose to do what he did, but we are very thankful that there was no other loss of life. Please give us peace to mourn the loss of our son, brother, nephew, uncle, and grandson. Thank you."

Police on Tuesday continued to ask people to avoid the downtown area as the investigation unfolded. [[511449332,C]]

Some 300 federal employees were allowed to return to work on Tuesday morning.

"I just hope it is quieter than it was yesterday," said Gail Anderson. She was at her desk on the 16th floor when shots rang out. "I just looked out the window and saw everyone running."

The investigation continues, as the FBI searches for clues as to what led a young Army-veteran to open fire on the federal courthouse in Dallas on Monday.

An FBI evidence response team from San Antonio was brought in to help wrap up the investigation at the scene of the shooting.

Several members of the public were unaware the building was closed to the public for the second day.

Maria Arena says her family drove to Dallas from Oklahoma Tuesday morning for the second day in a row in an effort to get a passport for her daughter to travel to the Philippines for a funeral.

"I'm kind of frustrated and tired at the moment because at least they could've called us and told us, 'Hey, it's going to be closed and we will reschedule you at a certain time,' which they never did," Arena said.

The FBI says if anyone had an appointment for a passport they should contact that office and ask about rescheduling.

Those parked in the lot where the shootout ended were able to reclaim their cars Tuesday night. 

The FBI continues to investigate a possible motive of a 22-year-old who opened fire on a federal building in downtown Dallas Monday morning. The Earle Cabell Federal Building will remain closed to the public Tuesday.

Tom Kassay said he spent several hours of Monday sheltered in place. He, like many others, were praising the Federal Protective Service Officers who stopped Clyde. 

"For something as rare as that to happen and for them to be as momentarily ready as they were to take this under condition, I commend them 100%," said Kassay.

What We Know

The incident began at about 8:40 a.m. on the south side of the federal building, along Jackson Street where the suspected shooter fired an unknown number of shots at the lobby before exchanging gunfire with Federal Protective Service officers guarding the building. Officials say Clyde was wearing tactical gear, carrying a large rifle and several magazines.

Clyde never made it into the courthouse; he remained outside while shooting one of the doors. In a video obtained by NBC 5, the gunman can be seen firing shots at the south side of the courthouse before running into a nearby parking lot where he collapsed. It’s unclear how many times Clyde was shot by Federal Protective Officers.

He had no pending criminal cases and wasn't involved in any lawsuits, according to public records.


Clyde came armed with upwards of 150 rounds of ammunition and witnesses at the scene told NBC 5 they heard between 15 and 20 shots fired.
Go here for the full article.

<p>Cellphone video shows a man wearing what appears to be body armor firing a gun in front of the Jackson Street entrance of the Earle Cabell Federal Building in downtown Dallas. Video courtesy: Tim Brown. <strong>WARNING</strong>: The video above is graphic; viewer discretion is advised.</p>

Photos From the Scene of Downtown Dallas Shooting

What's Next

Investigators are trying to determine if there was a motive behind the shooting.

Matt Desarno, special agent in charge of the Dallas FBI office, said they had no other information that Clyde was working with anyone in planning the attack, but that investigators are actively interviewing relatives, known associates and others.

FBI agents searched his Fort Worth apartment and interviewed neighbors.

The incident is being investigated by the FBI, ATF, FPS, U.S. Marshals and the Dallas Police Department.

The FBI is asking for the public's help gathering photos and video of the incident. Multimedia can be submitted to fbi.gov/dallasshooting. To submit a tip, the agency asks that people visit https://tips.fbi.gov/ or call 1-800-CALL-FBI or 1-800-225-5324.

Who is Brian Isaack Clyde

The Dallas Independent School District confirmed Clyde attended Woodrow Wilson High in 2012 before transferring to a school in Austin his freshman year. He also lived in Corpus Christi, where he recently graduated from Del Mar College.

Tom Fox, The Dallas Morning News
Dallas Morning News photographer Tom Fox says he shot this photo of the suspected shooter before crouching behind a wall, June 17, 2019.

From 2015 to 2017, Clyde served in the U.S. Army and was stationed at Fort Campbell, Kentucky, before being discharged. The FBI confirmed Monday that Clyde was discharged in 2017 and that they were working with the Department of Defense to examine his military record and learn more about his friends and associates.

On Tuesday, an FBI spokeswoman said Clyde was honorably discharged.

He recently moved to Fort Worth to the Watermarke Apartments on Overton Ridge Boulevard.

On his Facebook page, Clyde shared images of ammunition magazines and a sword or dagger. He also posted several videos, one of which, on June 9, warned of an upcoming storm. It's unclear if he was speaking of a metaphorical storm or a literal one -- June 9 was the day a thunderstorm toppled a crane in downtown Dallas, killing one.[[511421412,C]]

NBC 5 did not uncover any criminal history and the FBI confirmed Monday afternoon that Clyde was not part of any prior FBI investigation.

Desarno said Monday that investigators have recovered the rifle used in the attack and are working with the ATF to learn how and when it was purchased.

Kelly Carter, a resident of the SoCo Lofts said he heard the gunfire, saw part of the chase from his apartment and could even smell the gunpowder.
'We all just started scattering, running, people were running ... we're confused and running up the sidewalk to get away from everything," recalled Wendy Harmon, who said she heard the shooting outside the Earle Cabell Federal Building Monday in Dallas.

The FBI is encouraging anyone with video and/or pictures of the 6/17/19 shooting to submit it to the Bureau at fbi.gov/dallasshooting. You can also submit tips at https://tips.fbi.gov/ or 1-800-CALL-FBI.

Contact Us