Hoverboard Company Closes After NBC 5 Report

A hoverboard company is now out of business after an NBC 5 Responds report.

A North Texas boy purchased a hoverboard from Electric Empire USA, and when the device failed he was promised a refund he never received.

That's when NBC 5 Responds' Samantha Chatman stepped in.

We received other complaints about the Miami-based company and its hoverboards, so we reached out to the Florida Attorney General's Office and the Federal Trade Commission. Now, Electric Empire USA is out of business.

A message on the company's website reads:

"After receiving notice from the CPSC (Consumer Product Safety Commission) that we cannot ship our boards, we are left without any capital to personally issue refunds. We are now out of business. The only way to get a refund is to contact your credit card company and request a chargeback."

The Consumer Product Safety Commission says Electric Empire USA agreed to shut down its online operation after CPSC inspectors found it was selling hoverboards that weren’t properly certified.

The CPSC is the federal agency charged with protecting the public from faulty products. It's not clear why the agency stopped the company from shipping its hoverboards. We've reached out to the CPSC for an explanation.

The company tells NBC 5 Responds:

"We are deeply sorry for the inconvenience caused. As a growing small business we have been struggling with 'growing pains.'"

A Flower Mound Boy saved up $200 for a hoverboard. But when it started to malfunction, his parents sent it back after they were promised a new one. Months later, the boy has no hoverboard and no refund.

As for Jaxon Lane, the North Texas boy whose battle with the company we featured earlier this month, he was able to get a refund before the company shut down.

"I bought it for $200. That's my hard earned money and I'm very grateful that Electric Empire USA is refunding my money back to me," he said.

But for those of you who are struggling to get a refund from a company, here's what you should do:

  • Contact your credit card company and dispute the charge as soon as possible.
  • If that doesn't work, contact the attorney general's office or the FTC.
Contact Us