Frank Heinz

Guest Home Explodes on Lake Bridgeport: Fire Marshal

No one was injured Friday morning when a home on Lake Bridgeport was destroyed in an apparent gas explosion, according to the Wise County Fire Marshal.

Officials said the home was a guest home on a parcel of lake front property along Lake Bridgeport, located along the 100 block of Private Road 1519 near the intersection of County Roads 2259 and 1658.

There were no occupants in either the guest or main home at the time.

According to the Wise County Messenger, a neighbor drove up to the house and noticed debris and the smell of gas before noticing photos hanging in her own home were askew. Another neighbor, the Messenger reports, heard a loud "boom" at about 8 a.m.

The fire marshal said in a statement Friday afternoon that the explosion was caused by a propane leak.

A damage estimate has not yet been provided.

Contact Us