power tools

Girl Accidentally Locked Inside a Sporting Goods Store Gun Safe Rescued

A child who was locked inside a gun safe at a sporting goods store was rescued by fire officials in Denton.

The approximately 4-to-5-year-old girl was accidentally locked inside the safe that was on display at the Academy Sporting Goods store on West University Drive Tuesday evening, according to Denton Deputy Fire Chief Kenneth Hodges.

After repeated attempts by customers to open the safe via the combination lock, the locking mechanism locked everyone out of the safe, including the store's staff.

Once firefighters arrived, they determined using power tools might injure the child. Since a locksmith wasn't close by, firefighters used hand tools to pry the safe open.

Hedges said it took approximately 22 minutes to extricate the girl safely.

She was not injured.

Contact Us