North Texas

Gas Leak Ignites in Arlington Neighborhood

No evacuations reported, Arlington Fire Department says

A gas leak that ignited with large flames Tuesday in an Arlington neighborhood has been capped, and the fire is out.[[395008871,R]]

The Arlington Fire Department says a utility contractor, unrelated to Atmos Energy, struck a four-inch gas line just before noon along Crowley Road at the intersection with Verona Court.

By about 1 p.m. an Atmos Energy crew arrived and began work to control the leak.

Then, just after 4 p.m., the leak ignited for an undetermined reason. One worker had a minor, non-burn injury, fire officials said, and did not require a trip to the hospital.

Firefighters used three water hoses to contain the flames and protect nearby homes – none of which were occupied. No evacuations were ordered, and no other injuries were reported.

By about 7:30 p.m. the leak had stopped and the fire was out.

The city of Arlington's Hazardous Materials Response and Gas Well Response Team provided additional support and equipment to assist in stopping the leak and fire, officials said.

Contact Us