The Henderson County Sheriff's Department was forced to evacuate the entire town of Eustace due to a large gas leak Friday night.
The area around the town was evacuated for approximately five hours on Friday.
According to officials on Saturday morning, the smell, which is similar to that of rotten eggs, remained in the area, but it was safe for residents to return.
The gas leak was in the Purtis Creek area of Van Zandt County, which is about seven miles away from Eustace.
The latest news from around North Texas.
The Henderson County Senior Citizens building, Caney Creek Baptist Church in Log Cabin and First Methodist Church Mabank were available for anyone who needed shelter.
The Kaufman County Office of Emergency Management said the Mabank Fire Department responded to a gas leak.