A Fort Worth gas line has been capped after a rupture Friday caused several blocks to be evacuated for several hours in the northeast part of downtown.
Streets near the rupture, in the area of Pecan and Belknap streets, will remain closed late Friday while crews determine whether the natural gas levels have returned to normal.
The latest news from around North Texas.
The gas leak was first reported at about 11:15 a.m. on the 200 block of Pecan after a construction crew hit a large gas main, sparking the 3-alarm fire.
NBC 5 recorded video of a power pole on fire at the location of the gas break -- the pole is the only structure to have been damaged by the fire.
There have been no injuries reported, and the number of people evacuated is not known. A nearby Montessori School at 201 Jones Street evacuated the children to the Fort Worth City Club, according to the Fort Worth Fire Department.
Atmos Energy crews were called to the scene but could not begin repairs until the gas line was capped, which occurred at about 9:30 p.m.
A timeline for the repair and restoration of electrical power for the evacuated area has not been given, but Fort Worth fire officials said it could take several hours.