Fire Forces Evacuation of Retirement Home Residents

Only minor injuries reported after fire

Dozens of elderly residents of a southwest Fort Worth senior living apartment complex were evacuated overnight Wednesday because of a fire.

The fire was reported at 12:30 a.m. Thursday at the Normandale Place Apartments in the 8700 block of S. Normandale Street.

Several people were evacuated because smoke from the fire swept through the hallways, according to fire officials.

A man was hurt during the evacuation after he reportedly fell down the steps while he was trying to leave.  He was treated on the scene. A female resident was taken to a local hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation.

Firefighters reported that the cause of the fire was food left unattended and cooking on a stove top.

Contact Us