Almost every family that celebrates Christmas has a ridiculous story of how someone got into some shenanigans at some point — but it seems likely that only one McKinney family can say that this December they accidentally set their lawn ablaze with a magnifying glass.
Nissa-Lynn Parson was not surprised when her 12-year-old Cayden asked for the magnifying glass for Christmas. She explained he loves reading and science, so she assumed that was why he wanted it.
“It’s like a basketball player asking for basketball shoes,” she added.
The latest news from around North Texas.
The family donned their matching pajamas and opened presents on the big day. After the exchange, the kids went outside to try to burn a few holes into newspapers with Cayden’s gift.
“We were watching it and everything,” Parson explained. “I was happy they were outside playing together! They weren’t playing video games and wanted to go outside."
Her 15-year-old was holding a paper that caught fire and the wind blew it out of his hands, Parson said, and into the lawn.
“The kids ran inside and said ‘Mom, dad, we got a little bit of the grass on fire!’” she said. They rushed outside and within seconds, the whole lawn was ablaze.