Soldier's Stolen iPhone Found in Airport Worker's Home

Airport worker arrested in ongoing theft investigation

A cart driver at Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport was arrested after a soldier remotely tracked his stolen cell phone to the worker’s apartment, according to a police report.

Hanna Hanna, 34, an employee of airport contractor Air Serv, was arrested and charged with theft. He no longer works for the company.

The investigation started on Feb. 22 when retired U.S. Army Command Sgt. Maj. Dave Vreeland and his wife were passing through the airport on their way home to Fort Stewart, Ga.

Vreeland, who served in Iraq and now helps manage an Army hospital, said he left his iPhone on a chair in Terminal B.

"Within 10 minutes, I realized I left my phone there and went back and it was gone,” Vreeland said.

During a three-hour layover, he used the “Find My iPhone” feature and located it -- still at the airport, he said.

"I thought someone must have it, they'll turn it in,” Vreeland said. “And they didn't." 

When he returned home to Georgia, he checked again and saw the thief had moved his iPhone to an apartment complex in North Richland Hills.

The GPS even showed exactly what part of the complex it was in, so Vreeland called airport police.

"Within 24 hours, those guys were on it,” Vreeland said in an interview Thursday.

Authorities checked surveillance video of the area where he left his phone and saw that Hanna was in the same area at the time the phone disappeared, the report said.

Police checked Hanna's driver's license and his address matched the apartment complex in North Richland Hills where the iPhone’s GPS tracked the phone.

In a search of his apartment, authorities seized a total of 11 cell phones, including Vreeland's.

"It's an unbelievable story I've shared with all my army and civilian friends out here,” Vreeland said. “I didn't think I'd ever see my iPhone."

Air Serv released a statement, saying, "We have strict policies on these matters. This individual has been removed from his duties and we have been working with the authorities."

Airport police returned Vreeland’s phone.

"Really happy ending to this story,” Vreeland said. “I tip my hat to the Dallas-Fort Worth Airport Police. And don't mess with Texas."

Hanna declined to talk about his arrest Thursday.

DFW Airport spokesman David Magana said investigators were looking into whether the other cell phones found in Hanna's apartment were also stolen.

Contact Us