What to Know
- The DNT is in the process of expanding to four lanes.
- This weekend, part of the DNT must be closed.
- The closure will make way for a bridge demolition and rebuilding off Tennyson Parkway.
The Dallas North Tollway is getting bigger and better, but it certainly won’t be an easy process for drivers.
The DNT is expanding to four lanes in each direction in order to make traffic flow altogether easier.
One important step in the expansion is demolishing a bridge at Tennyson Parkway in Plano and rebuilding it completely, according to a press release from the City of Plano.
The latest news from around North Texas.
There's only one problem: The entire tollway must be closed in order to demolish that bridge.
"If you're trying to get between Plano and Frisco this weekend, the Dallas North Tollway will not be the way to go," said Michael Rey, with the North Texas Tollway Authority.
Beginning Friday at 11 p.m., crews will prepare to fully close the Dallas North Tollway at midnight.
The city said having full tollway closure throughout the weekend is necessary for quick progress on the DNT expansion.
"Allowing crews to have continuous access over a weekend means work can progress quicker without further impacting daily commuter traffic during the week," the city wrote.
During the closure, police officers will be helping to direct traffic. The city added that Dallas Parkway will be open during the construction, but "delays are expected."
Part of Tennyson Bridge which is undergoing its demolition will also be open: "The bridge structures are separated: as demolition occurs on the northern bridge, the southern bridge will remain open and operational," the city wrote.
Nearly 6,000 people are expected at the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure in Plano on Saturday, and organizers are helping the participants find alternate routes.
And just up the road in Frisco, the RoughRiders begin a week-long homestand Saturday. Fans who normally travel up the tollway will have to find another way to the ballpark.
"However you normally get around traffic on the DNT, use that way this weekend," Rey said.
These areas will be closed until 5 a.m. on Monday, June 13:
- All northbound lanes of the DNT from the Spring Creek Parkway exit to the Headquarters Drive entrance ramp.
- All southbound lanes of the DNT from Gaylord Parkway to the Spring Creek Parkway entrance ramp.
- The east- and westbound direct-connector ramps from the SRT to southbound DNT.
- The northbound DNT direct-connector ramp to east- and westbound SRT.
- The northbound entrance ramp from Spring Creek Parkway.
- The northbound exit ramps at Legacy and Headquarters Drive.
- The southbound entrance ramps from Gaylord Parkway, SH 121 and Legacy Drive.
- The southbound exit ramps to Legacy Drive and Spring Creek Parkway.
More information on upcoming lane closures can be found here.
NBC 5's Kevin Cokely contributed to this report.