Welder

Fire Damages Plano's Fellowship Christian Center Church

The reopening of a Plano church remains on schedule even after a fire burned through part of the building Friday morning.[[416439333, R]]

Firefighters were called to Plano's Fellowship Christian Center in the 1600 block of 14th Street at about 10:45 a.m

When they arrived, the ordered everyone out of the building and began attacking the fire from the outside. Once the fire in the attic had been knocked down, firefighters were able to move inside the building and attack the fire in the walls.

Deacon Frank Gray said the church, previously known as the First Assembly of God, had recently changed hands and was being renovated.

Gray said a spark from a welder's torch likely started the fire in a first-floor bathroom. The fire then went up a wall to a second floor classroom where firefighters were able to get it under control.

Most of the damage to the building was caused by smoke and Gray said they don't expect the fire to interfere with the renovation timeline.

First services at the renovated church are expected to happen in May or June.

Contact Us