All Clear Given After Dallas Convention Center Evacuated

A portion of the Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center in Downtown Dallas was evacuated on Sunday, the second time in three days.

People on social media and callers have said that the convention center was evacuated due to a threat. 

According to their website, the KBHCC is hosting the Major League Gaming competition and a cheer competition.

A threat on Friday, determined by police to be a hoax, forced the evacuation of the gaming event.

The city said on Friday an unknown person called the convention center at about 4 p.m. and said he had placed two backpacks of explosives inside the center. Building security then initiated the evacuation and contacted police.

Police said several backpacks found in the convention center during a preliminary search raised concern, so the bomb squad conducted a more thorough sweep.

After 8 p.m. Friday, the bomb squad completed its search, finding no explosive devices.

We are still waiting on an update from police after Sundays evacuation, but the group hosting the event inside the convention center tweeted out that they had been given an all clear, and everyone could return inside the building. Sunday, police were able to clear the building faster with everyone allowed back in at around 4:30 p.m. 

One of the larger events inside the convention center continued late into Sunday evening. The Call of Duty World League Dallas Open drew around 800 gamers to the convention center for the opening tournament of the 2018 season which cultminates with $4.2 million in prize money.

Jared Caplin, a gamer and fan, travled to Dallas from Utah to watch the tournament. Caplin, an ambassador for the Muscular Dystrophy Association, blogs about his life and offers gaming insights on his You Tube channel. Caplin predicts the gaming industry will continue to grow.

"It's just an exploding market," said Caplin. "There are parents that don't like it, but it's just a true fact that it's growing."

Contact Us