If your budget is tight, finding a good used car that's also inexpensive is no easy task.
Here are 10 used cars that Consumer Reports recommends for less than $10,000:
For small cars:
- 2008 Mazda3 is fuel-efficient, fun to drive, and unlikely to wind up in the shop.
- 2005-2008 Pontiac Vibe is a roomy yet compact hatchback that’s reliable.
- 2007-2009 Volkswagen Rabbit gives you a sporty European driving experience with nice interior materials for the price.
- 2005 Acura TL
- 2005 Acura TSX
- 2005 Toyota Avalon
- 2006-2008 Hyundai Sonata and 2007-2008 Kia Optima 4-cylinders. They’re basically the same car.
- 2005 Honda CR-V
- 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
- 2005 Honda Pilot. It seats eight and handles well.
Before you buy any car, Consumer Reports recommends hiring a mechanic to do an inspection. A thorough diagnosis should cost about $100, but check the price in advance. And before you take the car to a mechanic, do an initial inspection yourself.
The latest news from around North Texas.
Complete Ratings and recommendations on all kinds of products, including appliances, cars & trucks, and electronic gear, are available on Consumer Reports’ website.