Bar to Stop Selling Alcohol Following 2017 Plano Mass Shooting

The commission said they looked at evidence that indicated employees of Local Public House failed to notify police.

A private Plano club will no longer sell alcohol after allegedly serving alcohol to a man who later killed eight people, including his estranged wife, in September 2017, the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission announced Monday.

Spencer Hight, 32, had a blood alcohol level four times the state's legal limit when he drove to his estranged wife's home and fatally shot her and seven other people last year, according to a medical examiner.

Local Public House at 2001 W. Spring Creek Parkway in Plano agreed to cancel its permit August 1 following a TABC investigation into the shooting.

The commission said they looked at evidence that indicated employees of Local Public House failed to notify police after Hight allegedly displayed weapons while at the bar.

“As part of the settlement, the permit holder did not admit to any wrongdoing, and will not be required to close any other active permits they currently hold,” the commission said in a statement. “By reaching the settlement with the Local Public House permittee, TABC is closing out its administrative case.”

The TABC said it's up to local officials to file criminal charges against the club management or employees. A Plano police spokesperson told NBC5 Tuesday that they are talking to the case detective and TABC officials.

“This case shows the critically important role that TABC-licensed businesses play in upholding public safety,” said TABC Executive Director Bentley Nettles. “Anyone, including customers, business owners, or employees, should contact their local police any time they suspect a threat to the public. In some cases, shootings like this can be stopped before a life is lost.”

Officers who responded to the incident fatally shot Spencer Hight. A Collin County grand jury later cleared officers in the shooting.

Authorities say Hight opened fire at the home, where friends had gathered for a football watch party. Hight's 27-year-old estranged wife, Meredith Hight, was fatally shot along with seven others. They were identified as 33-year-old Anthony "Tony" Michael Cross; 24-year-old Olivia Nicole Deffner; 29-year-old James Richard Dunlop; 22-year-old Darryl William Hawkins; 31-year-old Rion Christopher Morgan; 28-year-old Myah Sade Bass and 25-year-old Caleb Seth Edwards.

Two bartenders reported seeing Spencer Hight with a knife and pistol, and he was asked to put the weapons in his car, according to search warrants obtained by NBC 5. When a bartender walked him outside, he was reportedly told by Hight to turn away so he didn't see what was in Hight's trunk.

Shortly afterwards, Spencer Hight drove to his estranged wife's home.

According to documents, Spencer Hight was found with a rifle in a sling across his body, a handgun in his waistband tucked into his pants and a large knife.

Detectives also found numerous rounds of ammunition and magazines inside the home.

At his apartment, investigators seized hundreds of rounds of ammunition, a high-powered munition launcher, a rifle, marijuana and mushrooms.

The documents also detail a first-hand account of the shootings from a 23-year-old woman who was at the home at the time and survived.

Contact Us