Video Shows the Moment Mansfield Police Locate 13-Year-Old Subject of Amber Alert

Video from the officer's body camera show the moment they arrested the suspect.

NBCUniversal, Inc.

Police in Mansfield early Sunday safely rescued a 13-year-old girl who was the subject of an Amber Alert out of Brownsville.

Officers also took 18-year-old Clayton Phillips, who was sought in connection to the alert, into custody, Mansfield police said.

"We're happy the child was located safely," Mansfield Police Sgt. Brian Raines said. "We were concerned last night that something awful would happen, so it was nice that we came together were able to locate her quickly and safely."

He said he and three other officers spent the evening searching for a 2012 brown Kia after they received information from Brownsville police that the girl and 18-year-old might have been in the area.

“I ended up finding the vehicle kind of parked in an odd location," said Raines, of the car which was located in the 700 block of West Debbie Lane.

"It was backed into a spot in the grass next to a building, kind of cannabis shop area with lots of garages, not a normal area for a vehicle to be that time of night, and they also had some parking lights on which caught my attention," Raines said.

He said in other circumstances their team would usually take a situation like this slow, but because of the Amber Alert, they didn't want to chance the suspect taking off.

“We had a kidnapped child. This is the Amber Alert vehicle. So we came up with a hasty plan where Ofc. Hernandez here did have legal cover for us in case something got real serious," Raines said. "Ofc. Killian did have a taser, and we had Ofc. Koeing here with hands so that was kind of our plan of, 'Hey, we kind of got the bases covered, let's open the door if the doors and open up the force or way in.' What we're thinking is the child. That's our priority, is to separate them and protect her."

He said the doors were unlocked, officers gave commands and were able to get the 18-year-old in custody quickly. They pulled him out of the car and onto the ground and handcuffed him.

Raines said it appeared the two could have been asleep at the time.

"She was startled, she was calm and just listened to us," Raises said of the 13-year-old. Officers called medical assistance to evaluate the girl.

Raines said he believed the suspect and child may have met online.

The Amber Alert was issued around 8 p.m. Saturday and discontinued Sunday morning.

The 13-year-old had last been seen in the 4400 block of Horizon Hill in San Antonio at 5 p.m. Saturday, according to the Texas Department of Public Safety.

Police said the girl is now back with family.

"I think of my own daughter and I can't I can't imagine the family last night what they went through," Raines said. "I briefly heard mom talking to Ofc. Hernandez last night and it's terrible hearing the anxiety in their voice, so as a did I definitely understand."

Phillips, who may have family in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, remains in jail at the Tarrant County Correction Center. He's been charged with kidnapping and didn't have a bond amount listed as of Sunday night.

Contact Us