Two earthquakes were detected north of Mineral Wells early Thursday, according to the United States Geological Survey.
First, a 3.6 magnitude earthquake was recorded at 1:58 a.m., a second quake, measuring 2.8, came almost an hour later at 2:41 a.m.
One NBC 5 viewer wrote in to say he was jolted out of bed by the first quake. The USGS shake map for the first quake shows moderate shaking near the epicenter with light to moderate shaking extending into Tarrant County. Weak movement was able to be felt throughout the area.
The epicenters for the Thanksgiving morning earthquakes were north of Mineral Wells in Palo Pinto County, west of the recent string of more than a dozen earthquakes in the Azle/Parker County area that have taken place since the start of November. See a Google map here.
The 3.6 quake matches the strongest quake recorded this month. The other 3.6 quake took place on Nov. 19 northwest of Azle.
Here are the USGS and NBC 5 reports of all North Texas earthquakes recorded in November:
- Nov. 28 - 2:41 a.m.: Magnitude 2.8, north of Mineral Wells
- Nov. 28 - 1:58 a.m.: Magnitude 3.6, north of Mineral Wells
- Nov. 26 - 2:03 p.m.: Magnitude 2.7 west-southwest of Azle | Story
- Nov. 26 - 8:24 a.m.: Magnitude 3.0 east of Azle | Story
- Nov. 25 - 7:55 p.m.: Magnitude 2.7 south-southeast of Azle
- Nov. 25 - 1:43 a.m.: Magnitude 3.3 | Story
- Nov. 23 - 3:43 a.m.: Magnitude 2.9 southwest of Reno | Story
- Nov. 20 - 11:53 p.m.: Magnitude 2.2
- Nov. 19 - 6:40 p.m.: Magnitude 3.6 north-northwest of Azle | Story
- Nov. 19 - 12:03 p.m.: Magnitude 2.8 west of Azle
- Nov. 19 - 11:57 a.m.: Magnitude 2.5 southwest of Reno
- Nov. 13 - 3:01 a.m.: Magnitude 2.6
- Nov. 11 - 2:30 a.m.: Magnitude 2.8 north of Azle | Story
- Nov. 9 - 1:54 p.m.: Magnitude 3.0 south of Springtown | Story
- Nov. 8 - 9:34 p.m. : Magnitude 2.4
- Nov. 7 - 10:32 p.m.: Magnitude 2.9 near Springtown
- Nov. 5 - 9:32 p.m.: Magnitude 2.6 east-southeast of Reno | Story
- Nov. 2 - 12:45 a.m.: Magnitude 2.0
- Nov. 1 - 4:57 p.m.: Magnitude 2.1 east-northeast of Richland Hills | Story
Other Earthquake-Related Coverage: