Towing Argument Ends With Gunshot - NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

Towing Argument Ends With Gunshot



    Tow Truck Driver Shot Wednesday Morning

    An argument over towing a car ended in gunfire early Wednesday morning, Fort Worth police say the tow truck driver was shot by one of the people he was trying to help after he explained he couldn't give the man a ride. (Published Wednesday, Jan. 1, 2014)

    An argument over towing a car ended with a gunshot early Wednesday morning.

    According to Fort Worth police, a tow truck operator got into a dispute with three people after their car was being towed near Interstate 35W and Altamesa Boulevard.

    Fort Worth police said three men were having car problems, so they called for a wrecker. When the operator arrived, they arranged for one man to ride in the wrecker's cab, another was allowed to sit in a personal vehicle, but the third man wouldn't have a ride.

    Officers said, upset that he would be left behind, Shane Crowson pulled out a weapon and fired one round at the tow truck as it was leaving.

    According to police, the round entered the back of the cab and struck the operator, injuring him.

    Police say the passenger in the cab of the truck applied pressure to the wound saving his life.

    The tow truck driver, Joel Omiya of Fort Worth, was taken to the hospital. He's in stable condition and expected to survive his wound.

    Crowson was arrested for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.

    Fort Worth Police say Omiya did everything right.

    "When the wrecker driver arrived on the scene he advised them of the arrangements, that he could only transport one in the cab in the truck," said Fort Worth police spokeswoman Sharron Neal. "But they all wanted to ride inside of the vehicle as it was being towed and he advised them that he couldn't do it.  It's not safe and it's against the law and they were all intoxicated, alcohol did play a role it did play a part in it." 

    Police say the entire incident could have been avoided. The three men had called a friend for a ride, and that friend arrived shortly after the shooting.

    NBC 5's Randy McIlwain contributed to this report.