Stray Pit Bulls Attack Lakewood Man - NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

Stray Pit Bulls Attack Lakewood Man



    Stray Pit Bulls Attack Lakewood Man
    The man says he feels lucky to be alive after being attacked by two pit bulls.

    A 63-year-old Dallas man said he thought he would die when two dogs attacked him Friday morning.

    Two pit bulls attacked Dost Aryan in the 6300 block of Monticello Avenue as he was taking a morning stroll through his Lakewood neighborhood just before 7 a.m.

    David Cunniff, who witnessed the attack, said it was something he will never forget.

    "It lasted 10 minutes or something," he said. "It was horrible. I could hear this guy, you know, help and screaming and yelling at the dogs."

    Witness Says Dog Attack Was "Horrible"

    [DFW] Witness Says Dog Attack Was "Horrible"
    A 63-year-old Dallas man was injured when two pit bulls attacked him Friday morning.
    (Published Friday, July 23, 2010)

    Cunniff said the dogs mauled Aryan "from head to toe."

    "His lip was hanging from his chin," he said. "I mean, he had bites on his forehead. Every inch of his body appeared to be covered in bites."

    Cunniff watched in horror as Aryan somehow managed to get away from the dogs and make his way to a nearby porch.

    "My neighbor looked out of the side window and I said, 'Let him in, let him in,'" he said. "I don't think she knew what was going on either. We had no idea."

    Neighbors called police.

    "The police showed up, and they got aggressive again, and the police took a shot -- had to fire at them -- and then they ran off between the houses," Cunniff said.

    Dallas Animal Services caught the dogs a short time later.

    Cunniff said he spoke to Aryan before paramedics transported him to a hospital.

    "I went and I said, 'Hey, I'm sorry. I was unable to help you sooner or do anything,'" Cuniff said. "He said, 'I'm just thankful to be alive, because I truly thought I was going to die.'"

    Aryan was treated and released from the hospital later Friday.

    Animal control will keep the dogs for the next 13 days to test them for rabies. They will also check for any microchips the stray animals may have to try and determine who, if anyone, owns them.