Plea Deal Struck in Signe Edwards Murder Case - NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

Plea Deal Struck in Signe Edwards Murder Case

Accused killer takes plea deal on murder, gun charges



    Plea Deal Struck in Signe Edwards Murder Case
    NBC 5 News
    Shane Lee Dixon, inset.

    Tarrant County prosecutors have struck a plea deal with a man accused of brutally murdering a woman in her southwest Arlington home.

    Shane Lee Dixon, 37, pleaded guilty to murder in the slaying of 67-year-old Signe Edwards. In exchange for his guilty plea, prosecutors agreed to a 30 year prison sentence.  Prosecutors said Dixon will be eligible for parole after serving 15 years behind bars.

    “This crime was committed with a special kind of evil,” said Prosecutor Keith Harris. “Thanks to the committed investigators with the Arlington Police Department, Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation and Caddo County Sheriff’s Department, as well as a concerned daughter, this crime was solved. A very violent man is off the streets.”

    On June 9, 2013, Edwards' body was found in her bedroom inside her southwest Arlington home by police officers conducting a welfare check at the request of her daughter. Officers at the scene reported Edwards suffered a massive trauma to her head and face. The Tarrant County medical examiner later determined Edwards died from multiple lacerations described as chop wounds.

    Arlington police said early on in the investigation detectives learned Dixon had worked as a handyman for Edwards and that, according to multiple witnesses, the two had recently had a falling out.

    According to those witnesses, Edwards had given Dixon both a gun to be repaired and the money needed to cover the cost of the repair. After some time had passed Edwards had become upset that Dixon refused to return either.

    On June 17, 2013, Arlington police learned that Dixon had been arrested in Oklahoma by the Caddo County Sheriff's Department on unrelated traffic charges. Detectives from the Arlington Police Department went to Oklahoma to interview Dixon and confirmed that he had worked for Edwards, though he told them he had not been to the house in weeks.

    Police said that a search of Dixon's vehicle revealed blood evidence that was later determined to be a match for Edwards. Police said a latent fingerprint found at Edwards' home was a match for Dixon.

    After his arrest in Oklahoma, Dixon was extradited back to Texas to face the murder charge and an additional charge of unlawful possession of a firearm (Edwards' weapon) by a felon. Dixon also pleaded guilty to that gun charge this week and was sentenced to 10 years in prison. That sentence will run concurrently with the murder sentence.

    "While there will never truly be a victory in this case, as we can’t bring her back or unwind the tragic way in which she lost her life, we are feeling a sense of relief that he is where he belongs and won’t be able to do this to another family’s loved one," said Kelly Edwards Phillips, Signe's daughter. "Our sincerest gratitude is extended to Detective Caleb Blank and Mr. Keith Harris with the District attorney’s office for their hard work and diligence in this case."

    NBC 5 has learned Dixon has a 2008 conviction for assault causing bodily injury in Kennedale and a 1994 conviction for retaliation in Arlington.