The driver of a casino tour bus that crashed on a Dallas-area highway, leaving three people dead, will not face criminal charges related to the incident.
A Dallas grand jury declined to indict Loyd Rieve for negligent homicide in a crash last April during which he swerved off a North Texas highway and struck a concrete barrier. The crash killed three people on the bus and injured more than 40.
The grand jury issued its decision in November. It was first reported by KRLD radio in Dallas.
The Texas Department of Public Safety investigated the case and referred it to the Dallas County District Attorney's office, which confirmed the grand jury's finding on Wednesday.
This is the second time Rieve has been cleared by a grand jury in a fatal crash. A bus Rieve was driving in 1998 struck and killed a man who was helping at an accident scene near Dallas.
Rieve still faces more than a dozen civil lawsuits in the crash. Several of them are scheduled for trial later this year. His civil attorney, Paul Bezney, declined to comment Wednesday.
A preliminary DPS crash report released last year found Rieve was at fault in the crash, which occurred in the Dallas suburb of Irving.
Rieve was driving a group of seniors from the Dallas area to an Oklahoma casino. The report found that Rieve lost control of the bus, which veered off the roadway and landed on its side.
The dead passengers were 82-year-old Alice Stanley, 69-year-old Paula Hahn and 81-year-old Sue Taylor, who organized the trip and was known by friends and customers as "Casino Sue."
A phone number for Rieve was disconnected, and his wife, Gail, did not return a phone message Wednesday. Gail Rieve told the Associated Press last year that her husband also was injured in the wreck and did nothing wrong to cause it.
"He came up on the barricade thing," she said then. "The next thing he remembers is being in front of the bus."