Driver Dies After Officers Crash Into Stalled Vehicle - NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

Driver Dies After Officers Crash Into Stalled Vehicle



    A stalled driver was killed early Thursday morning after he was struck by a Dallas police cruiser.

    Officers Adam Stucki and Archie Beason were responding to a routine call when Stucki struck the stalled Jeep sport utility vehicle on the 7600 block of South Polk Street at 1:30 a.m.

    "I think when you see it, there's some obvious questions," Assistant Chief Tom Lawrence said. "We are going to try and get the answers for you as soon as we can, but we want to be thorough. We don't want to jump to any conclusions."

    Terry Glover, 59, was sitting inside his SUV, which was stalled in the center lane of South Polk Street, at the time of the crash. He was transported to Methodist Hospital with serious injuries and died after surgery, police said.

    Dallas Police Release Video of Fatal Officer Crash

    [DFW] Dallas Police Release Video of Fatal Officer Crash
    A man died after a Dallas police cruiser slammed into his stalled vehicle.
    (Published Thursday, Aug. 12, 2010)

    "I want to extend our condolences to the family of Mr. Glover for their loss," Lawrence said at a police press conference.

    Glover was on his way to pick up his godson from work when he broke down.

    "We have a lot of questions about the incident, but at the same time, I do respect the police department and give them the opportunity to complete their due diligence that's required," said David Glover, the victim's brother.

    Dallas Man Dies in DPD Cruiser Crash

    [DFW] Dallas Man Dies in DPD Cruiser Crash
    A Dallas man died when his stalled car was hit from behind by a Dallas police officer's cruiser.
    (Published Thursday, Aug. 12, 2010)

    He said his family is not angry about the crash.

    "I'd say (we are) more concerned, because things happen," he said. "And we're true believers in God, and things do happen. But we're not going to sit here and point fingers at anyone. But you know, people are going to have those thoughts. 'What do we do? Could something be done better?'"

    Video from the police cruiser's dashboard camera shows the vehicle going 45 mph in a 40-mph zone. The impact sent Terry Glover's SUV through a day care's fence and onto its lawn.

    Dallas police said the stalled Jeep had its emergency flashers on and that South Polk Street was well-lit. Police investigators said they want to know why the officers crashed into the SUV and if they tried to stop.

    Beason and Stucki were responding to a Code 1 call, meaning no flashing lights or sirens. The nature of the call has not been released.

    "Right now we're just trying to figure out what happened," police spokesman Sgt. Warren Mitchell said.

    The officers were treated at crash scene and released.

    Stucki has been placed on restricted duty and will not be allowed to drive a police car while the department investigates the crash. Beason returns to duty Friday and is also under investigation. He has been with the force for nine years, while Stucki has been with the department for three years.

    NBC DFW's Julie Tam and Ellen Goldberg contributed to this report.