Marion Sayles Found Guilty in Decades-Old Attempted Murder Case - NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

Marion Sayles Found Guilty in Decades-Old Attempted Murder Case

Sayles to spend life in prison



    A woman who was kidnapped, sexually assaulted and shot in Dallas nearly 30 years ago says she testified in hopes that her story would encourage others to come forward and put their attackers behind bars. Marion Sayles was sentenced to life in prison for the attack Thursday, decades after two men were wrongly convicted. (Published Friday, Dec. 7, 2012)

    Nearly 30 years after a 26-year-old woman was kidnapped, raped and shot in Dallas, Marion Doll Sayles has been found guilty of attempted capital murder and sentenced to life in prison.

    The victim, using the name "Mary Smith," spoke to Sayles after the sentencing.

    "How dare you? You tried to destroy my life and, by the grace of God, I'm here and you are now serving a life sentence for what you did to me," she said.

    The jury took only about 20 minutes to render Sayles' verdict Thursday afternoon and another half hour to determine his sentence.

    Man Gets Life in 1983 Rape After Wrong Convictions

    [DFW] Man Gets Life in 1983 Rape After Wrong Convictions
    A North Texas jury has sentenced a man to life in prison for a 1983 rape after two other men were exonerated of the crime. The Dallas County jury found Marion Doll Sayles guilty today of attempted capital murder.
    (Published Thursday, Dec. 6, 2012)

    Smith took the stand Wednesday and recounted the November 1983 assault along McKinney Avenue in Dallas.

    Smith said two men forced her into her station wagon, yelling at her for money. The men then drove her to a remote field and raped her. She found a chance to escape in Oak Cliff, but was shot as she ran.

    The woman managed to flag down a passing car. Larry Barlow, the Good Samaritan who stopped to help, is credited with saving her life.

    James Curtis Williams and Raymond Jackson, were sentenced to prison for the crimes but were exonerated in April after DNA evidence cleared their names. They spent 28 years behind bars.

    The same DNA evidence implicated Sayles and Frederick Anderson.

    Anderson will go to trial in late January.

    NBC 5's Kendra Lyn and Andres Gutierrez contributed to this report.