Man Missing After Boat Hits Kayakers - NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

Man Missing After Boat Hits Kayakers



    Search crews have recovered a body of an Atlanta man who was hit by a boat on while kayaking on Eagle Mountain Lake late Monday night.

    Game wardens said the 53-year-old man was paddling through a dimly lit portion of the lake with his family when he collided with a small bass boat at about 11 p.m. His name has not been released.

    The man was in a tandem kayak with his wife. His two adult sons, one of who sustained a broken leg, were in two other kayaks.

    Officials said one of victim's sons lives at the lake not far from where the crash occurred.

    Man Dies at Eagle Mountain Lake

    [DFW] Man Dies at Eagle Mountain Lake
    Game Warden officials recovered the body of a 53-year-old father Tuesday afternoon. He had had been kayaking at 11pm Monday night when a small bass fishing boat hit him.
    (Published Tuesday, July 5, 2011)

    The driver of the bass boat stopped and helped with the search for the missing man until the search was suspended at about 2:30 a.m. Tuesday.

    The search picked up again after sunrise, and the man's body was found just before 3 p.m.

    Texas Parks and Wildlife officials said the three kayaks did not have required lights. The family of four had a flashlight as they kayaked.

    Lake officials said it is rare for kayakers to out on Eagle Mountain Lake at 11 p.m., although holiday weekends draw more people to the lake.

    "My condolences are with the family," said Dennis Creech, who operates a tow rescue service on the lake. "It's a tragic accident."

    Cristi Cole, a boater, said she was shocked by the man's death.

    "I just took my boat out today for a spin," she said. "I think it's dangerous to be out on the lake so late at night."

    The son who sustained a broken leg in the crash was treated and released from an area hospital.

    It is not known what charges, if any, the bass boat driver may face. He was questioned by authorities following the crash and was not taken into custody.