Irving Hyatt Place Hotel Evacuated - NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

Irving Hyatt Place Hotel Evacuated

One hospitalized after evacuation



    Firefighters say in some areas, carbon monoxide levels were twice the level of what is deemed dangerous. (Published Monday, March 19, 2012)

    The Hyatt Place Hotel in Las Colinas was evacuated Monday morning due to extremely high levels of carbon monoxide.

    Officials say a family drove themselves to an area hospital Monday and reported symptoms consistent with carbon monoxide poisoning.  The hospital then alerted the fire department to investigate.

    “The staff in the emergency department thought that there was a possibility of carbon monoxide poisoning. We did some testing and found out that they all did have elevated levels of carbon monoxide in their blood stream,” said Dr. Alex Kennedy, Medical Director for Emergency Services.

    Chief Cody Newman with the Irving Fire Department said initial readings at the hotel showed CO levels at more than 100 parts per million. Carbon monoxide is considered to be at a dangerous level when it exceeds 50 ppm.

    Emergency responders checked each individual for carbon monoxide levels. Hotel guest James Milligan said his daughter tested positive.

    “She was a little bit high and they tested her twice, but she is finally back to normal after being out in the fresh air,” he said.

    More than 30 of the evacuees found temporary shelter at a Bennigan’s restaurant located in front of the hotel. One was hospitalized in an unknown condition though multiple people were experiencing nausea, headaches and disorientation.

    According to Newman, the source of the carbon monoxide is in the boiler room. He said they got there just in time and that three minutes spent without ventilation in CO levels that high can cause a loss of consciousness.

    Assistant Fire Chief Rusty Wilson said commercial buildings including hotels are not required by law to have carbon monoxide detectors.