Dangerous levels of carbon monoxide closed a Dallas elementary school for a second straight day.
After initially opening Lakewood Elementary School Wednesday morning, officials detected more of the poison gas and immediately closed the school again.
"In that particular room where the boiler is located, those carbon monoxide levels are rising when the boiler is active," Dallas Independent School District spokesman André Riley said.
Students and faculty were evacuated from the school Tuesday after elevated levels of carbon monoxide were detected by a contractor. The leak is being lamed for making several students and teachers sick on Monday, several of whom were hospitalized.
Riley said the school was open at 6:30 a.m. after officials tested the school's classrooms and found no carbon monoxide. About an hour later, though, officials detected carbon monoxide near the boiler and closed the school again.
"We determined that the cause of the carbon monoxide elevated levels was a dead owl that was trapped in the ventilation system of the school," Riley said.
Officials said the boiler defect might have been a separate problem from the owl found in the furnace.
Lakewood, nor any other Dallas ISD school, is equipped with carbon monoxide detectors. District officials said they are not required.