2-Year-Old Killed in Dallas Apartment Fire - NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

2-Year-Old Killed in Dallas Apartment Fire



    A Dallas apartment fire took the life of a 2-year-old child on Sunday morning. (Published Sunday, Feb. 23, 2014)

    Dallas authorities say the body of 2-year-old Eve Jammer was found by firefighters at an apartment fire that occurred at the Village Oaks Apartments in the 3500 block of E. Overton Road.

    Kenedra Hart, the mother of Eve, said she dropped her children off at her grandmother’s for the day. About 15 minutes later the fire broke out.

    “I don’t wish this for nobody. I didn’t think it would be me,” sobbed Hart. “My baby is gone. I just want five minutes to let her know it’s OK, to let her know it’s OK, that I love her and didn't mean to let her go.”

    One of Hart’s other daughters, her grandmother and another relative suffered burns and smoke inhalation in the fire and are receiving treatment at Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas.

    2-Year-Old Child Dies in Apartment Fire

    [DFW] 2-Year-Old Child Dies in Apartment Fire
    2-year-old chilc, Eve Jammer died early Saturday morning in an apartment fire in Dallas.
    (Published Sunday, Feb. 23, 2014)

    Fire department spokesman Jason Evans said six people were in the residence in the city's Oak Cliff area Sunday morning where heavy smoke was reported from a second story. Three were able to flee but an elderly woman and another child suffered smoke inhalation. 

    The second child wasn't found until after the flames were put out.

    Neighbor Delein Walton woke up to people screaming about the fire. He and some friends backed up their truck to the second floor apartment unit, where he helped pull one of the children out of a burning room.

    "The whole front was engulfed in flames and the window was the only access that I could see and everybody was yelling, ‘The kids were in there.'" said Walton.

    Another neighbor, Lawanda Thompson, witnessed what happened next.

    "The baby was not breathing at that time," said Thompson. "The resident did CPR on the baby. A lot of smoke came out of her mouth and she opened up her eyes and started back to breathing. And that’s when he handed the baby over to the firefighter."

    "God bless the family," said Walton.

    The cause of the fire remains under investigation.