Cop Fired Following DWI Arrest - NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

Cop Fired Following DWI Arrest

NBCDFW investigates officer's disciplinary file



    Cop Fired Following DWI Arrest
    Getty Images

    An Arlington police officer was fired Tuesday after being arrested two weeks ago on a charge of driving while intoxicated.

    Officer Elliot Porter, 29, was placed on administrative leave after he was pulled over and arrested on a charge of drunken driving in the early morning hours of Jan. 17, according to police.  Porter bonded out of jail later that morning.

    Porter has the opportunity to appeal his termination, according to Tiara Richard with the Arlington Police Department.

    The termination comes as NBC DFW learned more about the officer’s prior disciplinary problems with the department.

    Porter's disciplinary file shows 10 complaints against him have been investigated since 2006.  Of those 10 complaints, he was only found to be in violation of department policy twice. 

    According to documents obtained by NBC DFW, on July 31, 2006, Porter contacted the Flower Mound Municipal Court over a traffic ticket he had received.  Porter became upset when the clerk he spoke with told him his court date had been changed and the fine had been increased because he was late on his payment. 

    The clerk said Porter began “raking her over the coals” and told her he didn’t care about a judge’s order that said he couldn’t pay his ticket over the phone due to his delinquency in payment. He wanted to pay the citation over the phone. 

    Porter mentioned he was a police officer and said he “knew the system” when the clerk tried to explain to him his options.

    Porter admitted to higher-ups that he let his emotions take over and became upset because he didn’t want a warrant to be issued for his arrest.

    Department brass ordered Porter to write a letter of apology to the clerk and counseled him on standards of conduct, being diplomatic and tactful and controlling his temper. Porter was also counseled in Nov., 2006, after he violated the department’s speed policy.  

    Arlington police policy reads, “speeding during emergency call response is restricted … to no more than 20 miles per hour over the speed limit.” However, when Porter responded to assist an officer on Oct. 8, 2006, officials said he drove 100 miles and hour to get there -- 60 miles over the posted speed limit.

    There were several other accusations against Porter were closed with no discipline given -- including charges of criminal activity and use of force.

    NBC DFW has not been able to reach Porter for comment.  Police said Porter worked in a "covert capacity," so they are not releasing his booking photo.