Chandelier Crashes to Ground in North Texas Family's Foyer - NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth
NBC 5 Responds

NBC 5 Responds

Responding to your consumer needs and connecting you to your money

Chandelier Crashes to Ground in North Texas Family's Foyer

The heavy chandelier didn't have the proper bracket holding it up

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Chandelier Crashes to Ground in Family's Foyer

    Big, two-story entryways with a fancy hanging light fixture are common in many North Texas homes, but imagine if that light suddenly came crashing down. (Published Tuesday, Nov. 7, 2017)

    Crashes aren't unusual in the Word family's home.

    Their son, Colby, loves playing with his wrestling action figures with his dad.

    As tough as Colby may be, even he was shaken by the crash in the foyer of their home.

    "It sounded like a whole glass bottle falling," Colby said.

    Mother Shares Biggest Triggers of Mom-Shaming

    [DFW] Mother Shares Biggest Triggers of Mom-Shaming

    Moms are under a lot of pressure to be perfect, and there are some topics that can trigger a lot of criticism. Janie Porter is a mother of four and a blogger in Tampa, Florida. She says breastfeeding is a top trigger of mom-shaming.

    (Published 3 hours ago)

    His father, Marcus Word, had just walked in from getting the mail when the fixture fell, and he is counting his blessings his son wasn't playing underneath the light when it crashed.

    The home is about five years old, and the builder, Lillian Custom Homes, first told Word they couldn't help, because they were the second owners and the warranty was up.

    "I told him, I said, 'You realize this could have hurt or killed someone,'" Marcus Word said.

    He hired an electrician who blamed the junction box which held the heavy fixture. It was plastic, not metal, and it cracked under the weight of the chandelier.

    Word was worried the same box might be on other fixtures in his home and asked NBC 5 Responds for help.

    Lillian Custom Homes told us, "Words cannot express how truly sorry we are for the anxiety, frustration and inconvenience Mr. Word and his family experienced."

    Dozens Exposed to Carbon Monoxide at TX Food Center

    [DFW] Dozens Exposed to Carbon Monoxide at TX Food Center

    Two dozen people were hospitalized Monday night for carbon monoxide exposure at a fruit and vegetable processing center in Texas. It happened at Hardie's Fresh Foods processing center in Southeast Houston.

    (Published 6 hours ago)

    They said this was the first time such an issue happened in one of their homes and the employees with whom Marcus Word first spoke weren't trained on how to properly handle it. They paid for the cost of the repairs and sent crews to inspect the other fixtures in the home, where they found the same junction box in the dining room.

    They replaced it, and told us, "The plastic junction box in question is rated to hold up to 50 pounds. The chandelier installed weighs 26 pounds, according to the manufacturer. While our electrician did follow code ordinances and the house passed all code inspections, obviously a component of the electrical/light fixture failed."

    The Word family hopes the only crashes and smashes in their home now are with Colby's action figures on the family room rug.


    Do you have a story idea? We want to hear from you! Fill out the complaint form on the NBC 5 Responds page or call 844-5RESPND, (844) 573-7763. More #NBC5Responds archive here.