Carbon Monoxide Blamed for Deaths of 3 Central Texas Hunters

Carbon Monoxide Blamed for Deaths of 3 Central Texas Hunters

Authorities in Central Texas say three relatives on a hunting trip are believed to have died of carbon monoxide poisoning inside a box trailer that was converted into a cabin.

Brown County Sheriff Vance Hill says propane heaters were used to keep the cabin warm but the structure didn't have proper ventilation. He says there was no way for the poisonous fumes from the heaters to escape.

An Arizona dog in a two-feet deep canal who couldn't climb out was rescued, but wiggled out of his leash leading rescuers to try to catch him as he ran through traffic. After 30 minutes, a good Samaritan was able to corner him. Fortunately, the dog is micro-chipped and will be returned to its owner.

(Published Monday, Jan. 22, 2018)

Names of the victims, who were found Saturday, haven't been immediately released.

The trailer was on a ranch between Brownwood and Bangs, about 100 miles (160.93 kilometers) west of Waco.