Investigators trying to figure out what happened to missing 3-year-old Sherin Mathews have seized a long list of items from the family's Richardson home.
Nearly four dozen items were taken from the family's home by investigators, the FBI confirmed Wednesday including computers, the contents of a vacuum cleaner, the family’s washer and dryer, a pink blanket, mobile phones and DNA swabs from each of the family's three vehicles. (Full list below)
Two of those vehicles remain in the custody of police, the third was returned to the family last week.
It is not yet known if any of the items hold any clues to what may have happened to the child.
The child was reportedly last seen by her adoptive father, 37-year-old Wesley Mathews, who told police he made his daughter stand by a tree about 100 feet from their house at 3 a.m. Oct. 7 as punishment for not drinking her milk.
He told police he came back outside about 15 minutes later and she was gone.
Mathews told police he searched for his daughter and then returned home where he hoped she would return on her own. Police said he told detectives he did a load of laundry and then called 911 to report the girl missing at 8:12 a.m.
Mathews was arrested Oct. 7 and charged with child neglect. He posted $250,000 bond and was ordered to surrender his passport and wear an ankle monitor. The girl's mother has not been charged.
The girl's parents have refused on-camera interviews. A family member who arrived at the home Wednesday morning would only say "no comment" when asked questions about the missing child.
Richardson police, along with assistance from other North Texas police departments, searched several specific areas of interest Tuesday about a mile from the family's home. Police said the found several items of interest at the location, but they did not disclose what those items were or confirm to which case they may be connected, if any.
List of Seized Items
- DNA swabs, hair and exam gloves
- Desktop computer, three laptop computers, iPad and a router
- Five cell phones, iPhone with a case
- Digital camera with adapter
- Vacuum bag contents
- Washer and dryer
- Trash and shopping bags
- Roll of fabric; blue string with dark, hair-like fibers; piece of red plastic
- Wooden spoons, dish scrubber, gloves, wooden fork and spoon
- Fitted sheet, blanket, changing table cover
- A pink T-shirt, five pairs of shoes and two pairs of boots
- Marriage certificate, birth certificate, adoption papers and medical bills
- Folder with bank documents, joint bank account book, tax return and other financial papers
A spokesperson for the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services confirmed Wednesday that Sherin's mother, Sini Mathews, is scheduled to go before a judge on Monday.
She will try to regain custody of her 4-year-old daughter who was placed in foster care after Sherin's disappearance.