1 Hospitalized After Paint Fumes Ignite in Fort Worth Apartment: FD

One man was badly burned Tuesday morning after paint fumes ignited inside an apartment complex in Fort Worth, firefighters say.

First responders were called at about 4:45 a.m. to the Mirador Apartments at 6075 Montevista Lane, near Bryant Irvin Road and Interstate 20.

A Fort Worth fire spokesman confirmed Tuesday afternoon that the explosion was caused by "an explosion of vapors created by aerosol paint." Most of the damage was limited to one unit which appeared to have one window blown out. No other units in the building were in danger, the spokesman said.

One adult male was transported to Parkland Hospital with serious injuries, the spokesman said. Another person in the apartment was not hurt.

Two other apartments had water damage after the explosion activated the complex's sprinkler system, the spokesman said.

The fire spokesman said natural gas was not present in the apartment, noting that the explosion appeared to be accidental.

The spokesman recommended that anyone who is painting to do so in a well-ventilated area, and to keep any potential ignition source away from the area.

Contact Us