Child Found in Day Care Van Has Died - NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

Child Found in Day Care Van Has Died

High at Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport was 105 degrees Friday

    Winter Olympics PyeongChang 2018 Medal Count


    "There's No Place You Wouldn't Know He Was There"

    Family members share their grief and anger over the death of 3-year-old Benjamin Price, left in a hot van outside a Dallas day care after a field trip. (Published Friday, July 20, 2012)

    Dallas Fire-Rescue and Dallas police are investigating the death of a child left in a van outside a day care in Dallas.

    Dallas Fire-Rescue received the call from Little T's Tiny Tot Daycare in the 2200 block of South Buckner Boulevard, which is near Cordell Drive, just before 5:15 p.m. Friday.

    The child was given CPR as he was transported to Baylor Hospital. Dallas police said doctors  pronounced him dead at the hospital.

    Family members gathered at the hospital identified the child as 3-year-old Benjamin Price. A grieving family member originally told NBC 5 that Price was 4.

    Dallas police Lt. Scott Walton said the little boy was left in a van outside the day care after a field trip. Police said the boy may have been in the van for two to two and a half hours after returning from a field trip to see a movie.

    The high at Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport was 105 degrees Friday.

    Family members told NBC 5 the day care didn't realize Price was still asleep in the van until his grandmother came to pick him up.

    "There was no place you wouldn't know he was there," said Kawanea Hines, the boy's godmother. "He made his presence known wherever he was, so for them to not know Benjamin was there -- I just don't see how."

    Family member Kisha Allen said she wants answers from the day care where Price had been going for more than a year.

    "You know, a kid lost his life because of stupidity. This isn't even a matter of negligence. It's stupidity," said Allen. "It could have been as simple as counting the children as they left the room and counting the children when they got off the bus. Something as simple as counting. You were taught that in kindergarten."

    One of Price's grandmothers said she knows the woman who owns the day care. She said Friday night that although she had burning questions, she was choosing to forgive the employees.

    "Well, I can't hold her responsible because God has got this thing in control. It's God’s will, God's will," said Louria Washington. "The time that he gave us, the three years he gave us Benjamin, we just appreciate and thank God just for the three years."

    When NBC 5 called the day care Friday, the person who answered said "no comment" and hung up.

    Dallas police said Saturday that the child's death remained under investigation and no arrests had been made as of Saturday morning.

    Police said investigators had not yet received a cause of death, which would be an important part of the investigation.