by Charles Rich
My fellow Fanhouser Ryan Ferguson is convinced that no Billies are going to Kentucky. He is convinced Texas A&M Coach Billy Gillispie is staying put. Ryan is also certain(ly hoping) that Billy Donovan is staying at Florida. I'm less certain about both.
Suffice to say, that this is a friendly disagreement. While Ryan takes Gillispie at his words, my gimlet eye views Gillispie by his lack of actions.
Gillipsie said he wouldn't sign until he returned from Final Four activities. Meanwhile, all of those major jobs -- Kentucky, Arkansas, Michigan and Iowa -- remain open.
Now, why would he do that? No doubt the Texas A&M Athletic Director is in Atlanta at this point. It seems like it would have been an easy thing to bring along the document for signing. Waiting to sign leaves the door open very conveniently open for escape.
It's all about the Big Blue. I don't dispute the lack of interest in the Arkansas job, and I don't believe Iowa or Michigan would offer enough. Kentucky, though, is the school on which he is waiting. The outcome with Donovan will decide his domino. Just about everyone knows that Donovan is the first choice and that Gillispie is the second.
Even if Florida gets to the Championship game on Monday and Donovan didn't reach a decision until Wednesday or Thursday, it would be very easy for Gillispie to put off signing the contract. The most convenient excuse would be a couple extra days on the recruiting trail before returning to College Station. Paying some visits and just doing more to help A&M basketball before getting home.
All the while, the contract remains unsigned. Waiting for Donovan's decision and maybe a phone call and a bigger offer from Kentucky.
Previously on Fanhouse:
Gillespie Is Staying Put
Report: Billy Gillispie Is Staying At Texas A&M
Kentucky's Hopes of Landing Donovan Grow Dimmer
Report: Kentucky to Offer Billy Donovan $1 Million Raise
Florida Has the Fans and Bucks to Keep Donovan