Trump Approves Strike on Iran After Drone Shot Down But Pulls Back, Report Says

President Donald Trump approved military strikes against Iran in retaliation for the shooting down of a U.S. surveillance drone over the Strait of Hormuz, but pulled back from launching them Thursday night, according to a report from The New York Times. A senior administration official said the strike, which was set to take place before dawn Friday in Iran, was halted before missiles had been fired, the Times reported. It was not clear whether the attacks would be carried out or why they were stopped. Trump had declared Thursday that "Iran made a very big mistake" by shooting down the drone and gathered top national security officials at the White House to discuss options.Asked earlier in the day about a U.S. response to the attack, the president said pointedly, "You'll soon find out." But he also suggested that shooting down the drone was a foolish error rather than an intentional escalation of the tensions that have led to rising fears of open military conflict. "I find it hard to believe it was intentional, if you want to know the truth," Trump said at the White House. "I think that it could have been somebody who was loose and stupid that did it."   Continue reading...

Read More

Copyright The Dallas Morning News
Contact Us