Former Champion Boxer Acquitted in Old East Dallas Assault Case

Former junior-middleweight boxing champion Jermell Deaunte Charlo was acquitted Wednesday after being accused of assaulting a woman he'd invited to an Old East Dallas condo last year.Charlo, 28, had faced a felony charge of assault by impeding breathing — family violence. The accuser, who had been in a romantic relationship with Charlo and was visiting him as he prepared for a fight in Dallas, told police he threw her to the ground when she confronted him about infidelity.When she tried to escape, he threw her against the fence, dragged her back inside, choked her and threw her several feet into a stair railing, she said.But the jury could not reconcile her account with the lack of visible injuries police documented when she reported it, Charlo's attorney Mike Howard said."This case, and the fear of losing my freedom and livelihood, has hung over me like a dark cloud for almost a year," Charlo told the Los Angeles Times. "I was offered a plea deal that I could not in good conscience accept because I wasn't guilty. I'm happy that the jury did its job and I want to thank them for that."A civil case in which the accuser is seeking between $100,000 and $1 million for medical care and suffering is pending in Dallas County. Her attorney declined to comment.  Continue reading...

Read More

Copyright The Dallas Morning News
Contact Us