Dallas Resident Contracts Dengue Virus While in India

A Dallas resident was infected with Dengue virus, the first case in the county this year. The 54-year-old was infected during recent travel to India, Dallas County Health and Human Services said in a prepared statement. Additional information was not provided because of privacy laws.Dengue is a virus spread through mosquito bites. It's not spread from person to person, but mosquitoes can become infected when they feed on someone with the virus, health department Director Zachary Thompson said. Thompson encouraged residents traveling to countries where viruses such as dengue are regularly found to take precautions. Symptoms include fever, headache, nausea, vomiting rash, and pain in the eyes, joints and muscles. There is no vaccine to treat or prevent the virus. To reduce exposure to mosquitoes, the health department encourages people to: Use insect repellent containing DEET when outside. Wear long, loose and light-colored clothing. Drain or treat all standing water in and around your home or workplace. Standing water can be treated with EPA-approved larvicides to kill mosquitoes before they become adults. Limit outdoor activities during dawn and dusk, when mosquitoes are most active.More information is available at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website at www.cdc.gov and at the Dallas County Health and Human Services website.  Continue reading...

Copyright The Dallas Morning News
Contact Us