Cat Named Angel Saves Grand Prairie Man From House Fire

A beloved cat helped a Grand Prairie man get to safety early Tuesday in a fire that claimed the animal's life. Reed McIntosh, 74, was awakened about 1 a.m. to his 7-month-old cat Angel pawing at his face. "He did it again, and I sort of sat up, like 'what?'" he told KDFW-TV (Channel 4). Then McIntosh heard the beeping of the smoke alarm that was going off near the garage. He rushed out of the house and called 911. Grand Prairie firefighters arrived and began battling the flames and searching for the five cats still trapped inside. "One of the gentlemen came out and said 'We found them. They were all in your bedroom,'" McIntosh told KDFW. "I was like, 'great,' He said, 'No, they're all gone. Sorry.'"An animal control employee brought the cats out in a clothes basket so McIntosh could hold them and say goodbye, the station reported. The cats died of smoke inhalation, according to a GoFundMe for McIntosh. "If it hadn't been for Angel, I would've been dead," he told KDFW. "I think that was destined to be his name. I think he was destined to be here to save me on a Valentine's Day. I'll never forget."The cats had been a source of comfort for McIntosh since his wife, Elaine, died of cancer in 2007, the station reported. Several rooms and all the furniture and his stock of items he sells on eBay were completely destroyed,the GoFundMe stated. McIntosh has insurance, but said the house where he and his wife raised their son will have to be rebuilt.  Continue reading...

Copyright The Dallas Morning News
Contact Us